Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tongue... bones... and peppers

Hola familia!
How has your week been!! I didn't have much time to read your emails but I took pictures of them to read throughout the week! Dad, I hope you are feeling better!! I'm sorry you had to go to the hospital! Not a fun experience. Hang in there! I'm thinking of you.  School starts soon doesn't it?! I'm excited for you all!!! Dillon's a big kid at Greenville! I can't believe it!!! Are you excited bud!? I'm sorry I've been behind on letters, we've spent a our p-days mostly cleaning our apartment.  But I will send one to you today and do lots better this week! Lauren are you ready to start college!? Utah state will be so fun for you!!! :) You will do so great!!! Hang in there and take a breather and enjoy the journey too! :) The end of the road isn't as worth it unless you enjoy walking the path.  Taylor how are you! Thank you both for your emails.  I miss you all more than anything!! You excited to be a Senior!! LIVE IT UP!!!! You only get to be a Senior once, make as many memories as you can!!!
Well this week has been AWESOME!!! To start off, as for weird things I've eaten this week, I've added tongue, some soup full of bones and mystery meat, and my first serrano and jalapenos.  HOT!!!! Holy cow is my mouth having to adjust to it.  Haha, they all laugh at me because something normal for them is BURNING for me, I've never drank more water in my life haha. :) But I love it. Someday I'll no longer be a gringa! ;)  They do say the peppers help with the spanish. ;)
I cannot believe the people here. I love them so much!! They are so absolutely humble and loving.  Those who have absolutely nothing are those most willing to give.  So many have opened their doors to us and fed us when they hardly have enough for their family.  I feel guilty sometimes.  I love these people so much.  I'm so glad they will be close enough to visit often even after I get home.
We are finally organized, clean, and hitting the pavement! :) Mom thank you for the package of supplies!!! It was greatly appreciated.  I had to use some funds to get our apartment there, but we are FINALLY clean and livable :) haha. We have been working hard this week and have atleast contacted every name on our lists from the bishops (our english branch was made a ward!), ward members and the stacks of referrals found in our apartment.  We have come to truly love and know our wards, brought many back to church and are now starting to do more tracting.  Or area isn't extremely big and we're hoping if we get to stay here long enough we can tract every street.  I absolutely love it here!! And I love this work!!
It's been coming along so well!!! We have two companionships of Elders in our district and last week between each of them 4 people were baptized and we were able to help with! It was so great!!! I love this work!!!
We've had so many miracles this week I can't even think of which one to write about.  The work is coming along and half the time it comes to us! For instance, this week we've been working a lot with the landlord and maintenance workers to clean our apartment.  One of which, Armando (50's) has been there to help with every need we have had and some we didn't notice.  He is so kind and helpful and patient with my Spanish.  He is respectful in all he does and took the time to learn our names.  From being in our apartment he knows who we are and what we do.  He is a Jehovah's Witness but he has never been pushy or aggressive.  The other day as we were leaving and he was spraying for cockroaches, I was thanking him for all he did before we left when he surprised me by asking for a Book of Mormon.  I was so surprised and immediately got one for him.  We were able to talk about it for a few minutes and then we had to leave for an appointment.  We talked to him today again and he's been reading it.  He is one of the best people I know and is so kind and giving to all those around him.  I'm praying for him.
Another experience this week, as we were pulling into the church parking lot for district meeting, the Elders were parked and out talking to a man in the parking lot.  They referred him to us, since he's in our area and we set up an appointment before he left.  After he did, they explained to us the situation.  This man found the church on his own and asked for the missionaries to visit him. We're excited to meet them.
The field is white and ready to harvest.  I know that is true.  Every day we face so much rejection, but when you find those that are ready, they are READY.  And I have absolute faith that even those who aren't ready, with enough time patience and love will come around. I have met so many absolutely incredible people.  I wouldn't rather be anywhere else.
Keep strengthening those around you and treating others as the Savior would.
I KNOW this church is true.  I am honored to be a part of this great work! I know I have the power to do so much more and I'm so grateful for the time to do so.
I love you all so much.
Be strong and remember who you are, who loves you.

Les quiero,
Hermana Jardine

No comments:

Post a Comment